Friday, May 7, 2010

From A to B

I'm pretty sure I remember from Geometry or some math class that the shortest distance from point A to point B is a straight line. I thought about that as you zig-zagged across the floor learning to crawl. I won't go to the trouble of plotting points on a graph to show the course you made as you moved from point A to point B, but rest assured, it wasn't a straight line. Not even close. You moved in all directions, sometimes even backwards. I will just say that you were taking the scenic route, or as Robert Frost once put in his famous poem, "The road less travelled."

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

Keep taking the road less travelled, even as you become steadier and more skilled at crawling and then walking. Be a trail blazer but take time to smell the flowers along the way. Who knows what you might find along your journey, and remember that the real journey begins where the path ends. The shortest distance from point A to point B may be a straight line, but it is not always the best path.

No comments:

Post a Comment