Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year

We celebrated the New Year low-key this year. Usually I am up until midnight to see the old year out and usher the new one in. This year it didn't happen. No fireworks, confetti, or Times Square ball-drops for me. No Dick Clark or champagne toasts or party horns either. I was actually sleeping at midnight when it all transpired. People asked me if you were going to be up to help see the new year come in. I told them I hoped not. You were sleeping, thank goodness. The big debate is what to call this new year. 2010 can be called Twenty-Ten or Two Thousand and Ten. I'm with the first group. Afterall, it wasn't the One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twelve Overture. It was the Eighteen-Twelve Overture. We didn't party like it was One Thousand Nine Hundred and Ninety-Nine, we partied like it was Nineteen Ninety-Nine. They called this past decade the decade from hell. It started out with Y2K and ended with financial meltdowns. We encountered terrorism in the U.S., natural disasters, bailout programs, number one albums from the Beatles, the latest Elvis 'comeback', and wars inbetween. Still there were plenty of good times to be found if you simply looked for them. You were born in this decade afterall, so it wasn't all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment